7 Takeaways From the Third Presidential Debate
On Wednesday, October 19, the third presidential debate between Republican candidate Donald Trump and Democrat nominee Secretary of State Hilary Clinton was held at the University of Nevada – Las Vegas.
If you missed the final debate, which managed to feature the candidates talking policy along with the typical remarks about the other’s weaknesses, you certainly missed a lot, especially when it comes to Trump’s comments.
Here’s the 7 most important takeaways from the third presidential debates.
1. Once again, the two candidates don’t shake hands pre-debate, instead heading to their respective podiums, but unlike the last debate, they also didn’t shake hands at the end of the debate. So, no handshakes between the candidates at all at the third presidential debate.
2. When asked if he’d accept the results of the election, Trump wouldn’t say that he’d accept the results, opting instead to say he’ll “look at it at the time” — a major break from the tradition of the loser coming together with the winner and thus uniting the country post-election, the peaceful transfer of power being “one of the prides of this country” as said by debate moderator Chris Wallace of Fox News.
This failure to agree to honor the results of the election is astounding as every other candidate and winner/loser has done so in the past. Clinton pointed out that Trump’s answer was par for the course as he’s quick to play the victim and blame the system when he’s not the winner, as he’s done in this election, calling it “rigged” when he lost the Iowa GOP caucuses and now that Clinton is in the lead. When his TV show didn’t win an Emmy, Clinton added, Trump again blamed the system, which Trump didn’t deny, instead interjecting to say that he should’ve won the Emmy.
3. Gun control was one of the foremost topics to be discussed, with Trump saying that if Clinton were to win, the people would end up with a Second Amendment that was a small replica of what it should be. Clinton said that she doesn’t see any conflict between saving lives and defending the Second Amendment, as guns are the cause of thousands of deaths each year, and as such, would be in favor of some gun reform measures which would close loopholes that allow people to access guns when they shouldn’t be able to.
4. Another topic that came up rather quickly was Roe v. Wade, the court decision which gives women the right to make decisions about their own bodies and the ability to obtain abortions if they choose. Trump said he’d appoint justices that are pro-life and who would end up overturning the Roe v. Wade decision, which would then put the burden back on the individual states to make choices about women’s abilities to have abortions. Clinton argued that the government has no business in these very personal decisions that women and their families make and she wants the court to “represent all of us” and would therefore select judges who support marriage equality and abortion rights.
Clinton values the Roe v. Wade ruling as abortions should be available to women and they should be the ones to choose what to do with their bodies, unlike Trump who has made past comments saying that if abortion were outlawed, there’d be some kind of punishment for women who obtained one. Trump then accused Clinton of being okay with late-term abortions which Trump said “rip the baby out of the womb of the mother,” while Clinton maintained that under certain circumstances, such as when the mother’s health is at-risk, those abortions need to be possible and it’s still not the government’s business.
5. Talking about immigration, Trump said that we have some “bad hombres” in the U.S. and we have to get them out, stating his desire for strengthened security and border patrol at the U.S.-Mexico border in order to “keep the drugs out of our country.”
6. Trump repeated his claim that “no one has more respect for women than he does,” which caused the audience to break their vow of silence to laugh. He flat out denied the validity of the nine women who’ve come forward in the last week who’ve claimed Trump allegedly groped or made sexual advances toward them against their wishes, saying that “I didn’t even apologize to my wife because I didn’t do anything.”
Trump instead accused Clinton and her campaign of either paying the women who came forward or they came forward in hopes of fame or being paid by her campaign, as she’s allegedly been paying her supporters to incite violence at Trump’s rallies, a claim that has not been substantiated.
7. When the debate somehow found itself talking about Russia and Putin, Trump stated that Putin doesn’t respect Obama, and by extension, Clinton, and Clinton memorably responded “Well, that’s because he’d rather have a puppet as president of the United States.”
Trump interjected twice, saying “You’re the puppet” in response to Clinton, but did eventually say that of course he’d condemn hacking and election interference by Russia or anyone else and that while he’s never met Putin, if Russia and the U.S. were to get along, it wouldn’t be so bad.
Whoever you decide to vote for, just make sure you get out there and vote — election day is November 8th. America’s future is in your hands.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent DU News Articles
RECENT DU CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Colorado at BoulderColorado State UniversityMetropolitan State University of DenverUniversity of DenverUniversity of Northern ColoradoRegis UniversityColorado CollegeUniversity of Colorado at DenverFort Lewis CollegeColorado School of MinesWestwood CollegeUniversity of Colorado at Colorado SpringsAdams State CollegeColorado Christian UniversityColorado State University-PuebloColorado Technical UniversityColorado Technical University OnlineJones International UniversityColorado Mesa UniversityNaropa UniversityThe Art Institute of ColoradoUnited States Air Force AcademyUniversity of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenterWestern State College of ColoradoAims Community CollegeColorado Mountain CollegeCommunity College of Aurora Community College of Denver Northeastern Junior College Pueblo Community College Academy of Natural Therapy IncAmerican Sentinel UniversityArgosy University-DenverAspen UniversityAuguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts-BoulderAveda Institute-DenverBel-Rea Institute of Animal TechnologyCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-Fort CollinsCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-GreeleyCollege of International Esthetics IncCollegeAmerica-Colorado SpringsCollegeAmerica-Fort CollinsColorado Academy of Veterinary TechnologyColorado Heights UniversityColorado School of Traditional Chinese MedicineColorado Technical University-Greenwood VillageConcorde Career College-AuroraDelta Montrose Technical CollegeDeVry University-ColoradoEcotech InstituteEmily Griffith Technical CollegeEmpire Beauty School-AuroraEmpire Beauty School-LittletonEverest College-AuroraEverest College-Colorado SpringsHealing Arts InstituteHeritage College-DenverIliff School of TheologyInstitute of Taoist Education and AcupunctureIntellitec College-Colorado SpringsIntellitec College-Grand JunctionIntellitec Medical InstituteInternational Salon and Spa AcademyITT Technical Institute-WestminsterJohnson & Wales University-DenverLincoln College of Technology-DenverMontage AcademyMontessori Casa InternationalMontessori Education Center of the RockiesNational American University-Colorado SpringsNational American University-Colorado Springs SouthNational American University-DenverNational Beauty CollegeNational Personal Training Institute of ColoradoNazarene Bible CollegeNew Dimensions Beauty Academy IncOtero Junior CollegePickens Technical CollegePikes Peak Community CollegePima Medical Institute-AuroraPlatt College-AuroraPrince Institute-Rocky MountainsRedstone CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Fort CollinsRocky Vista UniversityRolf Institute of Structural IntegrationThe Salon Professional Academy-Grand JunctionTrinidad State Junior CollegeUnited Beauty CollegeUniversity of the RockiesUtah College of Massage Therapy-AuroraUtah College of Massage Therapy-WestminsterYeshiva Toras Chaim Talmudical Seminary
- By State
- By City