Why You Should Vote This November
Most traditional-age college students enter their first year of college as 18-year-olds, legal adults, and eligible to vote. With the Presidential Election this November, I for one am trying to get as educated as possible on major issues and who I’m going to vote for. However, at least among my own peers, I often hear the words “I’m just not going to vote.”
This is less “voter apathy” and more our generation’s frustration with politics. We often hear people sigh about the “good ol’ days” or “back when So-and-So was President…” but we, the “millenials” (ages 18-29) were born into a tough economy. Growing up, we were told that we had to go to college to get a job, but the price of a college education has significantly increased since then, and now, it seems like we have to also go to grad school to get a “good” job. Speaking of jobs, where can we get one? Who is going to help us? We turn to the government.
Back in 2008, the youth were filled with belief in Obama, and volunteered for his campaign vigorously. Now, many of today’s college students, who have made it through high school waiting for Obama to fulfill this promise and that promise, are disappointed and disillusioned. The Republican Party is pushing for cuts to federal student aid and Pell Grants, a move that many students, who are heavily dependent on these funds, are hesitant to support.
Faced with this dilemma, plus the added difficulties of registering to vote, receiving a ballot or visiting the poll, all the effort involved in researching candidates, it seems like we as college students have no time or motivation to vote, especially when voting is presented as “which choice is the ‘lesser of two evils’?”
However, you as a student should vote, and here is why.
- Learning something in the process. Instead of passively standing by, you will actively take a stance in trying to shape the future of this nation, and by doing so, learn a lot about others’ views and your own.
- These issues DO pertain to us as students. Think of it as the country you will “inherit” when you graduate and move into the so-called ‘real world.’ If you’ve ever complained about something or blamed something on the government, now is the chance to have those opinions voiced. Also, vote now or forever hold your peace – if you do choose not to vote and then you choose not to praise or complain about political decisions.
- Democracy only works if everyone speaks. You may think “My vote won’t count.” Remember Florida? Every vote counts. Even if your vote is a murmur, a sea of murmurs becomes a powerful, unified shout. “Rule of the people” doesn’t work if the people don’t care.
- Exercising a fundamental right that is denied to many living in this country. As a U.S. citizen, you have the privilege of being born with the right to vote. The 15th, 19th, 24th, and 26th amendments to the Constitution and countless leaders have fought for this right, and some are still fighting. In some countries, youth just like you fight and die for this right. Vote because you can.
I encourage you to vote this fall because you do have a voice that should be used. Step up to the plate and make a stand!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent DU News Articles
RECENT DU CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Colorado at BoulderColorado State UniversityMetropolitan State University of DenverUniversity of DenverUniversity of Northern ColoradoRegis UniversityColorado CollegeUniversity of Colorado at DenverFort Lewis CollegeColorado School of MinesWestwood CollegeUniversity of Colorado at Colorado SpringsAdams State CollegeColorado Christian UniversityColorado State University-PuebloColorado Technical UniversityColorado Technical University OnlineJones International UniversityColorado Mesa UniversityNaropa UniversityThe Art Institute of ColoradoUnited States Air Force AcademyUniversity of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenterWestern State College of ColoradoAims Community CollegeColorado Mountain CollegeCommunity College of Aurora Community College of Denver Northeastern Junior College Pueblo Community College Academy of Natural Therapy IncAmerican Sentinel UniversityArgosy University-DenverAspen UniversityAuguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts-BoulderAveda Institute-DenverBel-Rea Institute of Animal TechnologyCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-Fort CollinsCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-GreeleyCollege of International Esthetics IncCollegeAmerica-Colorado SpringsCollegeAmerica-Fort CollinsColorado Academy of Veterinary TechnologyColorado Heights UniversityColorado School of Traditional Chinese MedicineColorado Technical University-Greenwood VillageConcorde Career College-AuroraDelta Montrose Technical CollegeDeVry University-ColoradoEcotech InstituteEmily Griffith Technical CollegeEmpire Beauty School-AuroraEmpire Beauty School-LittletonEverest College-AuroraEverest College-Colorado SpringsHealing Arts InstituteHeritage College-DenverIliff School of TheologyInstitute of Taoist Education and AcupunctureIntellitec College-Colorado SpringsIntellitec College-Grand JunctionIntellitec Medical InstituteInternational Salon and Spa AcademyITT Technical Institute-WestminsterJohnson & Wales University-DenverLincoln College of Technology-DenverMontage AcademyMontessori Casa InternationalMontessori Education Center of the RockiesNational American University-Colorado SpringsNational American University-Colorado Springs SouthNational American University-DenverNational Beauty CollegeNational Personal Training Institute of ColoradoNazarene Bible CollegeNew Dimensions Beauty Academy IncOtero Junior CollegePickens Technical CollegePikes Peak Community CollegePima Medical Institute-AuroraPlatt College-AuroraPrince Institute-Rocky MountainsRedstone CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Fort CollinsRocky Vista UniversityRolf Institute of Structural IntegrationThe Salon Professional Academy-Grand JunctionTrinidad State Junior CollegeUnited Beauty CollegeUniversity of the RockiesUtah College of Massage Therapy-AuroraUtah College of Massage Therapy-WestminsterYeshiva Toras Chaim Talmudical Seminary
- By State
- By City