7 Interesting Book Finds for this Winter Break: A Search Through Amazon.com
For University of Denver students, winter break is a long seven-week vacation from studies. We take our final exams before Thanksgiving, and we don’t return to school until the beginning of January. The beginning of the break is a sigh of relief; however, by week three or four, most students are bored and ready to return to campus.
In an effort to prepare for the long haul, I began to browse Kindle books on Amazon this week. I spent about an hour browsing books, and I bookmarked any that seemed to have intriguing plot lines.
Based on the little bit of research I have done, here is a list of seven books I found on Amazon that have unique and/or compelling plotline.
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo – This is about Annawadi, a makeshift settlement in Mumbai, India. Based on three years of reporting, it narrates the hopes and fears of individuals within the settlement. It tells about the courage and imagination of the Annawadians as their world is rocked by local, national, and global tension and instability.
- Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan – Set in modern day San Francisco, Sloan’s book is about Clay Jannon and his job at a local bookstore. He begins to notice strange things about the bookstore. Very few people shop at the bookstore, but the same people come in repeatedly and never buy anything. They only look at the same books at far corners of the store, and Jannon decides that the store must be a front for something else. What they find goes far beyond the walls of the bookstore.
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman – In this piece of fiction, Tom Sherbourne takes his wife, Isabel, to work as a lighthouse keeper in Australia. Isabel has suffered two miscarriages and one stillborn, and there seems to be no hope that the couple will have a child. Then, one night, Isabel hears an infant crying in the distant and a boat washes onto the isolated island carrying a dead man and a living baby. Tom wants to report the baby and the man immediately, but Isabel disagrees. They keep the child and name her Lucy. At the age of two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland with Lucy, and they are reminded that there are other people that exist. According to the summary, tragedy ensues.
- The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker – Thompson’s book begins with the world finding out that the rotation of the Earth has suddenly started to slow. It tells the story of a ten year-old girl named Julia, and her experiences dealing with disasters caused by the slowing world and the disasters of everyday life (first love, her distancing parents, etc.)
- January First: A Child’s Descent into Madness and Her Father’s Struggle to Save Her by Michael Schofield – Schofield tells the story of his daughter, January, and her struggle with mental illness. At the age of six, January was diagnosed with schizophrenia. This recounts his family’s experience with trying to find some peace and solution for January.
- The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker – Sendker’s book spans between the 1950s and the present. In the book, a New York lawyer goes missing and neither his daughter nor wife know where he went. They find a letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman, and his daughter, Julia, sets off to Burma to solve the mystery and come to terms with her father’s past.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – In Night Circus, Morgenstern depicts a fantasy world about a circus that arrives without warning overnight. The summary doesn’t give up too much information, but it talks about Celia and Marco. They are a young, and they are rivals that was arranged long ago by powers they don’t understand. Their lives become more enmeshed, and it tells a story of love, joy, heartbreak, and deceit.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent DU News Articles
RECENT DU CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Colorado at BoulderColorado State UniversityMetropolitan State University of DenverUniversity of DenverUniversity of Northern ColoradoRegis UniversityColorado CollegeUniversity of Colorado at DenverFort Lewis CollegeColorado School of MinesWestwood CollegeUniversity of Colorado at Colorado SpringsAdams State CollegeColorado Christian UniversityColorado State University-PuebloColorado Technical UniversityColorado Technical University OnlineJones International UniversityColorado Mesa UniversityNaropa UniversityThe Art Institute of ColoradoUnited States Air Force AcademyUniversity of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenterWestern State College of ColoradoAims Community CollegeColorado Mountain CollegeCommunity College of Aurora Community College of Denver Northeastern Junior College Pueblo Community College Academy of Natural Therapy IncAmerican Sentinel UniversityArgosy University-DenverAspen UniversityAuguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts-BoulderAveda Institute-DenverBel-Rea Institute of Animal TechnologyCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-Fort CollinsCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-GreeleyCollege of International Esthetics IncCollegeAmerica-Colorado SpringsCollegeAmerica-Fort CollinsColorado Academy of Veterinary TechnologyColorado Heights UniversityColorado School of Traditional Chinese MedicineColorado Technical University-Greenwood VillageConcorde Career College-AuroraDelta Montrose Technical CollegeDeVry University-ColoradoEcotech InstituteEmily Griffith Technical CollegeEmpire Beauty School-AuroraEmpire Beauty School-LittletonEverest College-AuroraEverest College-Colorado SpringsHealing Arts InstituteHeritage College-DenverIliff School of TheologyInstitute of Taoist Education and AcupunctureIntellitec College-Colorado SpringsIntellitec College-Grand JunctionIntellitec Medical InstituteInternational Salon and Spa AcademyITT Technical Institute-WestminsterJohnson & Wales University-DenverLincoln College of Technology-DenverMontage AcademyMontessori Casa InternationalMontessori Education Center of the RockiesNational American University-Colorado SpringsNational American University-Colorado Springs SouthNational American University-DenverNational Beauty CollegeNational Personal Training Institute of ColoradoNazarene Bible CollegeNew Dimensions Beauty Academy IncOtero Junior CollegePickens Technical CollegePikes Peak Community CollegePima Medical Institute-AuroraPlatt College-AuroraPrince Institute-Rocky MountainsRedstone CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Fort CollinsRocky Vista UniversityRolf Institute of Structural IntegrationThe Salon Professional Academy-Grand JunctionTrinidad State Junior CollegeUnited Beauty CollegeUniversity of the RockiesUtah College of Massage Therapy-AuroraUtah College of Massage Therapy-WestminsterYeshiva Toras Chaim Talmudical Seminary
- By State
- By City