'Anna Karenina' from a Bookworm's Perspective
Having read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, I was over joyed when I learned that there was a new movie coming out this fall. Let this be seen as a book reader’s review of the new take on Anna Karenina, directed by Joe Wright. Wright has also directed movies such as Atonement (2007), Pride and Prejudice (2005), and Hanna (2011). The movie stars Keira Knightley as Anna herself, Jude Law as her husband, Karenin, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Count Vronsky.
The book is extremely long, so going into the show I knew there would be a couple scenes left out, as there are with most book-to-movie conversions. I didn’t expect such a large difference; almost the entire film was shot as if it were on a stage. The foreshadowing image of a train was also much more explicit than in the book. As quoted by the director “[on filming 'Anna Karenina'] If there was a scene in the book about love then it was in, and if it wasn’t about love it was out. So if the audiences are interested in farming practices of the 1800s, they’re going to be disappointed.” I found the scenes that needed to be included were in fact included and then some.
All of the actors were wonderful, but I found Jude Law’s role as Karenin to be outstanding. The transfer between the stage setting to a rural one was brilliant. I did find some instances in which everything was perfectly in sync to be a bit ‘musical theater-esque’ for my taste, but it wasn’t so much to the point that I began to dislike the film. I definitely recommend seeing the movie, but it is likely to be extremely confusing for anyone who has not read the book. Even then, there are certain instances when even I was confused as to whom the dialogue was referring. Though, I will not give the film a numerical rating, I will say that it was quite good, but I would encourage everyone to read the book first.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent DU News Articles
RECENT DU CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP DU NEWS
- Get The Most Out Of Your Next Study Session: 5 Study Tips
- Cheetos Chicken Fries: An Extra Crunchy Surprise
- On Identity Spectrums
- The National Museum of African American History: A People's Journey
- Is a Pixie Cut Right for You?
- The Age of the Half-Hour Dramedy
- What I Learned During My First Week In College
MOST POPULAR DU NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAcademy of Natural Therapy IncAdams State CollegeAims Community CollegeAmerican Sentinel UniversityArgosy University-DenverAspen UniversityAuguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts-BoulderAveda Institute-DenverBel-Rea Institute of Animal TechnologyCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-Fort CollinsCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-GreeleyCollege of International Esthetics IncCollegeAmerica-Colorado SpringsCollegeAmerica-Fort CollinsColorado Academy of Veterinary TechnologyColorado Christian UniversityColorado CollegeColorado Heights UniversityColorado Mesa UniversityColorado Mountain CollegeColorado School of MinesColorado School of Traditional Chinese MedicineColorado State UniversityColorado State University-PuebloColorado Technical UniversityColorado Technical University OnlineColorado Technical University-Greenwood VillageCommunity College of Aurora Community College of Denver Concorde Career College-AuroraDelta Montrose Technical CollegeDeVry University-ColoradoEcotech InstituteEmily Griffith Technical CollegeEmpire Beauty School-AuroraEmpire Beauty School-LittletonEverest College-AuroraEverest College-Colorado SpringsFort Lewis CollegeHealing Arts InstituteHeritage College-DenverIliff School of TheologyInstitute of Taoist Education and AcupunctureIntellitec College-Colorado SpringsIntellitec College-Grand JunctionIntellitec Medical InstituteInternational Salon and Spa AcademyITT Technical Institute-WestminsterJohnson & Wales University-DenverJones International UniversityLincoln College of Technology-DenverMetropolitan State University of DenverMontage AcademyMontessori Casa InternationalMontessori Education Center of the RockiesNaropa UniversityNational American University-Colorado SpringsNational American University-Colorado Springs SouthNational American University-DenverNational Beauty CollegeNational Personal Training Institute of ColoradoNazarene Bible CollegeNew Dimensions Beauty Academy IncNortheastern Junior College Otero Junior CollegePickens Technical CollegePikes Peak Community CollegePima Medical Institute-AuroraPlatt College-AuroraPrince Institute-Rocky MountainsPueblo Community College Redstone CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Fort CollinsRegis UniversityRocky Vista UniversityRolf Institute of Structural IntegrationThe Art Institute of ColoradoThe Salon Professional Academy-Grand JunctionTrinidad State Junior CollegeUnited Beauty CollegeUnited States Air Force AcademyUniversity of Colorado at BoulderUniversity of Colorado at Colorado SpringsUniversity of Colorado at DenverUniversity of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenterUniversity of DenverUniversity of Northern ColoradoUniversity of the RockiesUtah College of Massage Therapy-AuroraUtah College of Massage Therapy-WestminsterWestern State College of ColoradoWestwood CollegeYeshiva Toras Chaim Talmudical Seminary
- By State
- By City