Publishers Seek Next College-Age Bestseller
The world of creative writing certainly doesn’t guarantee easy entry to its pearly gates. The writing industry boasting such humbling statistics such a 9.2% unemployment rate for recent college graduates as of a Georgetown University study done in 2012. Needless to say, such competition industry makes it difficult for aspiring writers, especially those in college, to break into the business and get published.
Set those fears to rest! A new genre of literature – New Adult Fiction – needs college-aged authors to tell its stories, and publishers such as HarperCollins are looking to give those authors voices.
Not to be mistaken as a euphemism for Young Adult (YA) fiction such as “The Hunger Games,” New Adult Fiction is a growing genre featuring college-aged protagonists who face struggles more realistic and engaging than those of high schoolers.
“YA has always been really popular, and New Adult is actually a much wider world than YA,” said Tessa Woodward, editor at Avon Books, a HarperCollins imprint. “High school is a very enclosed space—you know, it’s just high school. But once you have these kids get out into the world, there’s such a broader range of things that they can experience. The younger writers aren’t afraid of having crazy emotional back-stories for their characters.”
And for that reason, HarperCollins is looking for younger writers to write New Adult Fiction. Though meant to appeal to an older audience than YA attracts, New Adult Fiction is not limited to stories about college, but encompasses the broader topic of adulthood and what that means.
“Some of them have those situations that deal with college or university, but some of them do not; a lot of protagonists are forced into certain circumstances. Many New Adult protagonists must skip college and live in the real world. New Adult authors are no strangers to confrontational subjects such as rape and unwanted pregnancy,” said Lucia Macro, vice president and executive editor at Avon.
As a new genre with a growing community both online and offline, New Adult Fiction has seen a growing digital trend with many novels published online on personal blogs and websites, making it easier than ever before for writers to write and readers to read. This, combined with the flexibility that New Adult Fiction has as an emerging genre, allows writers the leeway to play with new ideas and conventions.
HarperCollins is welcoming new and innovative New Adult stories for submission, with a shot at publishing opportunities. Aspiring authors, send your submissions to Tessa Woodward, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HarperCollins is just one of hundreds of publishers in the writing industry that are eager to encourage this new genre. Make sure to do some research and submit your work to as many of these publishers as possible. If you have tips for other aspiring writers, be sure to let us know in the comments section below.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent DU News Articles
RECENT DU CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP DU NEWS
- College Students Are Unsatisfied With the Presidential Candidates
- 5 Things You Need to Know Before UConn's Game Against UCF
- 7 Tasty Miami Restaurants Under $10
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Register To Vote
- Tallahassee Museum's Annual Halloween Howl
- Dear Trump and Lahren: Words Are NOT Just Words
- Which Media Figures Stand to Benefit from the 2016 Election?
MOST POPULAR DU NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAcademy of Natural Therapy IncAdams State CollegeAims Community CollegeAmerican Sentinel UniversityArgosy University-DenverAspen UniversityAuguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts-BoulderAveda Institute-DenverBel-Rea Institute of Animal TechnologyCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-Fort CollinsCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-GreeleyCollege of International Esthetics IncCollegeAmerica-Colorado SpringsCollegeAmerica-Fort CollinsColorado Academy of Veterinary TechnologyColorado Christian UniversityColorado CollegeColorado Heights UniversityColorado Mesa UniversityColorado Mountain CollegeColorado School of MinesColorado School of Traditional Chinese MedicineColorado State UniversityColorado State University-PuebloColorado Technical UniversityColorado Technical University OnlineColorado Technical University-Greenwood VillageCommunity College of Aurora Community College of Denver Concorde Career College-AuroraDelta Montrose Technical CollegeDeVry University-ColoradoEcotech InstituteEmily Griffith Technical CollegeEmpire Beauty School-AuroraEmpire Beauty School-LittletonEverest College-AuroraEverest College-Colorado SpringsFort Lewis CollegeHealing Arts InstituteHeritage College-DenverIliff School of TheologyInstitute of Taoist Education and AcupunctureIntellitec College-Colorado SpringsIntellitec College-Grand JunctionIntellitec Medical InstituteInternational Salon and Spa AcademyITT Technical Institute-WestminsterJohnson & Wales University-DenverJones International UniversityLincoln College of Technology-DenverMetropolitan State University of DenverMontage AcademyMontessori Casa InternationalMontessori Education Center of the RockiesNaropa UniversityNational American University-Colorado SpringsNational American University-Colorado Springs SouthNational American University-DenverNational Beauty CollegeNational Personal Training Institute of ColoradoNazarene Bible CollegeNew Dimensions Beauty Academy IncNortheastern Junior College Otero Junior CollegePickens Technical CollegePikes Peak Community CollegePima Medical Institute-AuroraPlatt College-AuroraPrince Institute-Rocky MountainsPueblo Community College Redstone CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Fort CollinsRegis UniversityRocky Vista UniversityRolf Institute of Structural IntegrationThe Art Institute of ColoradoThe Salon Professional Academy-Grand JunctionTrinidad State Junior CollegeUnited Beauty CollegeUnited States Air Force AcademyUniversity of Colorado at BoulderUniversity of Colorado at Colorado SpringsUniversity of Colorado at DenverUniversity of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenterUniversity of DenverUniversity of Northern ColoradoUniversity of the RockiesUtah College of Massage Therapy-AuroraUtah College of Massage Therapy-WestminsterWestern State College of ColoradoWestwood CollegeYeshiva Toras Chaim Talmudical Seminary
- By State
- By City