Why Attack on Titan Is So Popular
Every otaku is watching it. Every cosplayer wants to do it. The internet is wild about it. I’m talking about Attack on Titan, or Shingeki no Kyojin, this year’s hottest anime.
A brief synopsis: Attack on Titan focuses on Eren Yeager, his adoptive sister Mikasa Ackerman, and their friend Armin Arlert, who live in a world where the last survivors of humanity live in cities surrounded by gigantic 50-meter tall walls to protect them from Titans, huge humanoid monsters who devour humans. After a colossal Titan destroys the wall and leads to the invasion of the Titans and subsequent destruction of their home and brutal death of Eren’s mother, Eren vows to enter the army to destroy all the Titans. The story is about humanity’s attempt to fight the Titans and regain the outer Wall all while trying to solve the mystery of the Titans.
Running for a mere 14 episodes thus far, Attack on Titan‘s popularity and hype outshines most anime from the past few years. Why is this?
Kickbutt action scenes
With the 3D maneuvering gear, a device that screams Steampunk Spiderman, soldiers battle the Titans in stunning action sequences. There is a fearless, breathtaking aspect to each time soldiers engage Titans, and a sense of immense victory when the Titan is slain or immense horror when the Titan wins and devours the soldier. AoT keeps battle scenes fresh and keeps the viewers guessing, as every battle is life-or-death.
Even if you’ve never watched the show, doubtless you’ve at least heard or seen the opening or a parody of the opening. “Guren no Yumiya.” The opening is so epic, I don’t believe anyone has the gall to skip it. The soundtrack to the show is made of amazing, and is equal parts terrifying and invigorating, depending on the scenes. An unmemorable soundtrack detracts from a show or video game greatly, but a great soundtrack like we are given in AoT helps give the show life.
Strong characters everywhere
While Eren, the main character, is quite static, motivated purely by his desire to destroy all the titans, the show is chock full of well-developed characters that make up a lovable, dynamic group of soldiers. By watching the characters grow and mature, it’s impossible to not grow attached to each and every one of them, and to root for their survival.
What also makes Attack on Titan so worthwhile is the strong cast of female characters and the lack of fan service. Many anime tend to sexualize their female characters, but not so with AoT. Mikasa protects Eren and Armin, and an officer remarks in the show that she is “worth 100 soldiers.” Annie teaches Eren a lesson in sparring, and when a bulky male recruit teases her, she literally flips him on his head. Sasha, a quirky food-lover, is hilarious but also has a backstory furthered developed in the manga. The only romantic attachment established in the show is one of Ymir, another female character, towards Krista.
The female characters are never put down because of their gender, and are regarded just as highly as any other soldier. This helps bring in the female audience who oftentimes feel excluded by shows that clearly pander to the Male Gaze or have female characters that are regarded as less than the male characters, or shounen anime that simply don’t have female characters.
The diverse cast in AoT are capable, strong, and most importantly, human. Together, they are able to carry the show through its many twists and turns.
A+ plot development
The plot, while suffering from some pacing issues (17 minutes of internal dialogue + 5 minutes of actual action scenes per episode), does a great job of showing the struggles that humanity could face if we suddenly were at the bottom of the food chain. What is the weight of one human life compared to the survival of humanity? What does a human do when cornered and helpless? What does it take to fight in the face of unwinnable odds?
The anime challenges other “shounen” style anime such as Naruto/Bleach/One Piece (which coincidentally I dislike strongly) by challenging the notion that courage is easy to come by. Plot twists everywhere keep the viewers guessing and watching every week. Attack on Titan also has an underlying conspiracy/mystery plot surrounding the Titans, their origin, and what lies in the basement of Eren’s house, details of which are still being explored in the ongoing manga.
Now I’m an animation nerd. There’s nothing more beautiful to me than well-animated shows and movies. Attack on Titan delivers with stylized designs, high-paced action scenes as mentioned, breathtakingly animated scenery, a well-animated opening, and an absolutely gorgeous ending sequence. Seriously, go watch that.
Overall, Attack on Titan fully deserves its popularity in my opinion, and I’m excited to see what it delivers in the next few months. The show is currently available for streaming on CrunchyRoll. Do you watch Attack on Titan? What are your thoughts? Why do you like the show?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent DU News Articles
RECENT DU CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP DU NEWS
- Campus Rape: More Common Than Shocking
- Put Away Your Makeup ... Or, Don't
- LeBron's Hairline: The Final Stage of a Hero's Journey
- Orange is the New Black: A Call to Action
- Meet GOA: The Prejudiced Group Taking the NRA's Place
- 5 Reasons Why Esmeralda is an Underrated Disney Heroine
- On Queer People of Color
MOST POPULAR DU NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Colorado at BoulderColorado State UniversityMetropolitan State University of DenverUniversity of DenverUniversity of Northern ColoradoRegis UniversityColorado CollegeUniversity of Colorado at DenverFort Lewis CollegeColorado School of MinesWestwood CollegeUniversity of Colorado at Colorado SpringsAdams State CollegeColorado Christian UniversityColorado State University-PuebloColorado Technical UniversityColorado Technical University OnlineJones International UniversityColorado Mesa UniversityNaropa UniversityThe Art Institute of ColoradoUnited States Air Force AcademyUniversity of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenterWestern State College of ColoradoAims Community CollegeColorado Mountain CollegeCommunity College of Aurora Community College of Denver Northeastern Junior College Pueblo Community College Academy of Natural Therapy IncAmerican Sentinel UniversityArgosy University-DenverAspen UniversityAuguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts-BoulderAveda Institute-DenverBel-Rea Institute of Animal TechnologyCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-Fort CollinsCheeks International Academy of Beauty Culture-GreeleyCollege of International Esthetics IncCollegeAmerica-Colorado SpringsCollegeAmerica-Fort CollinsColorado Academy of Veterinary TechnologyColorado Heights UniversityColorado School of Traditional Chinese MedicineColorado Technical University-Greenwood VillageConcorde Career College-AuroraDelta Montrose Technical CollegeDeVry University-ColoradoEcotech InstituteEmily Griffith Technical CollegeEmpire Beauty School-AuroraEmpire Beauty School-LittletonEverest College-AuroraEverest College-Colorado SpringsHealing Arts InstituteHeritage College-DenverIliff School of TheologyInstitute of Taoist Education and AcupunctureIntellitec College-Colorado SpringsIntellitec College-Grand JunctionIntellitec Medical InstituteInternational Salon and Spa AcademyITT Technical Institute-WestminsterJohnson & Wales University-DenverLincoln College of Technology-DenverMontage AcademyMontessori Casa InternationalMontessori Education Center of the RockiesNational American University-Colorado SpringsNational American University-Colorado Springs SouthNational American University-DenverNational Beauty CollegeNational Personal Training Institute of ColoradoNazarene Bible CollegeNew Dimensions Beauty Academy IncOtero Junior CollegePickens Technical CollegePikes Peak Community CollegePima Medical Institute-AuroraPlatt College-AuroraPrince Institute-Rocky MountainsRedstone CollegeRegency Beauty Institute-Fort CollinsRocky Vista UniversityRolf Institute of Structural IntegrationThe Salon Professional Academy-Grand JunctionTrinidad State Junior CollegeUnited Beauty CollegeUniversity of the RockiesUtah College of Massage Therapy-AuroraUtah College of Massage Therapy-WestminsterYeshiva Toras Chaim Talmudical Seminary
- By State
- By City